Tuesday, November 5, 2013

november 5

JOURNAL TOPIC: [today's tunes: "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins; "Riders on the Storm" by The Doors]

We all encounter emergencies-- illness, earthquakes, stalled cars, the occasional zombie apocalypse--so what can you do to be prepared? Describe planning or training for something that might actually happen.

UPDATE: That topic was a repeat!  (Thanks, Joe, and shame on the rest of you. :)  Try this one:

Describe the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you. 

AGENDA:
1. Journal
2. Paying attention
3. We are our curriculum: vocab list and reading
4. Group assignment

HW:
1. Read  Erica's blog post and the article it's based on closely, analyze both, and post a response to your blog (title: 7 TIMES)  [update: for more see Javi's blog and/or en loco politico]  Here are some questions to get you started: 1. What is Erica's tone?  2. What are the facts?  Do you notice any difference in the facts   3.  What conclusions does Erica draw?  4. What writing techniques (figurative language, punctuation/capitalization, etc.) does Erica use to effectively communicate her message?  5. How does Erica's essay compare with Javi's (get past the simplistic "better/worse" and consider style, emotional impact, clarity, and evidentiary support)?

5 comments:

  1. Such an Honor. I had no idea an assignment could be made from a young teens rant. Thanks Dr. Preston! and Javi for a different perspective on the topic. I am looking forward to reading your blogs on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure / thank YOU / I'm looking forward to reading these too! :)

      Delete
  2. Dr. Preston, must we adhere to the questions you've provided? I have a different direction in mind for my response, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally finished it... I apologize for being late. I try to get my assignments in on time at all costs (even if it means staying up until 3:00am the night before a Physics test, I regret that one...), but it really just wasn't coming together for me last night.

      Delete